Tree to be planted in honor of Katharine Kelley
Kelley, who died at age 96 Sept. 27 of a stroke, was a tireless historian of Baldwin City and the Santa Fe Trail. She worked on both projects at the library every day. The Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce has organized the ceremony in her honor.
"In recognition of her contribution to our community, the chamber will have a tree planted in her honor," said Susan Baker, chamber office manager. "It will be placed on the north side of the public library, just outside her window."
Kelley, a Baker University graduate, taught for more than 40 years in the Baldwin School District. Numerous stories on Kelley can be found in the Signal's archives on the Web site. Coverage of Tuesday's ceremony will be in this week's Signal.
More like this story
- Kansas House panel to review Democratic lawmaker's remarks
- Six Baldwin HIgh School players named to Frontier League post-season teams
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Kansas House passes bill to authorize $1.5B in pension bonds
- Kansas House passes teacher collective bargaining compromise