Pearse killed in Tuesday car wreck
EDGERTON -- A Baldwin City man was killed when he lost control of his Jeep Cherokee on U.S. Highway 56 near Edgerton Road just after midnight Tuesday.
The Johnson County Sheriff's Department identified the man as Charles S. Pearse, 54. His wife, Marilyn Pearse, was a long-time Baldwin City Council member.
"Our heart goes out to her," said Mike McKenna, Baldwin City police chief, who was called by Johnson County deputies the night of the accident and went to the home to deliver the news. "It's a terrible loss."
Authorities are still investigating how the accident happened, but they said that it appeared Pearse swerved off the edge of the roadway and his Jeep overturned, throwing him out.
Paramedics tried to resuscitate him, but were unsuccessful. Pearse died at the scene.
Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. Friday at Lenexa Christian Center. An obituary on Pearse can be found elsewhere on the Web site.
More like this story
- Kansas ponders new protections for campus religious groups
- Mott would be Kansas' first transgender House member
- Deadline nears for Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce awards nomininations
- Appeals court refuses to rehear Kansas abortion threat case
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books