No decision yet for 15-year-old
No decision has been made by the Douglas County District Attorney's office on whether charges are warranted against a 15-year-old Baldwin boy for his threats on an Internet Web site.
Dist. Atty. Christine Kenney said her office had a meeting about the case, but hadn't reached a conclusion.
"We had been hoping to make the decision quickly," she said. "We probably will not have a decision this week."
Earlier this month, Baldwin police questioned the 15-year-old, whose name is not being released, about his writings on the Internet detailing an attack at the annual Maple Leaf Festival.
According to the journal entries on the Web site, the teenager had plans to draw police out of Baldwin and then disrupt the festival by using guns and pipe bombs.
Police learned of the plans after the boy's Lawrence classmate read the Web site and told his parents who then alerted authorities.
Police searched the Baldwin teenager's house, and no weapons were found.
The teenager had been placed in a mental health facility in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
Kenney said the Baldwin City Police Department turned the case involving the Baldwin youth over to the DA's office last Monday.
She stated she had not had the opportunity to thoroughly review the report, but said one of her prosecutors had been examining it.
She said she could not specifically say when the DA's office would determine whether charges were warranted.
"We have not made any decisions yet," she said.
More like this story
- Four possible parking lot sites near BJHS/BHS campus reviewed
- Baldwin district having sale at Vinland school on Saturday
- Baldwin board asks for spending cuts to help cover slash in state funding
- Baldwin High School wrestling coach teaches success on mat while building long-lasting bonds
- Marijuana refugee returns to Baldwin City to advocate for limited use of drug