Shoplifter caught at annual festival
A teenage girl was arrested this weekend after attempting to steal several items from Maple Leaf Festival craft booths.
Baldwin Police Chief Mike McKenna said a 15-year-old girl from a neighboring town was caught Sunday afternoon by a booth vendor who saw her putting two packages of gold chains from the festival booth in her coat pocket.
He said the vendor kept the girl from leaving until Baldwin police arrived.
McKenna said the teenager had taken a number of pieces of jewelry from other festival booths including rings, pendants and necklaces.
He said the girl took a number of the items with the use of a cup of pop.
"She would pick up a piece of jewelry and drop it in the cup," he said.
The jewelry was valued at $117.
McKenna said the girl was questioned and processed at the police department before being released to the custody of her mother.
More like this story
- Baldwin City woman in critical condition after morning U.S. 59 crash
- Man found guilty in Douglas State Fishing Lake aggravated robbery
- Kansas congressional staffer sentenced for child sex charges
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Study: Many Kansas Turnpike accident hotspots near Lawrence