Candle in pumpkin causes house fire
A candle lit on Halloween led to a small house fire early Monday morning.
Firefighters were called to 112 Washington St. around 7:15 a.m. Monday to extinguish a fire at a house belonging to Mike and Donna Kneedler.
No one was injured, but Baldwin Fire Chief Allen Craig said the house sustained about $1,000 in damage.
Craig said the fire started when a candle left burning in a paper pumpkin melted. The pumpkin, which he said was on a plant stand on the front porch of the house, burned, also burning another paper pumpkin and a bird house that were also on the stand.
Craig said the fire moved to the house going underneath the cement-like siding.
"The siding did it's job, it didn't burn," he said. "But it got behind it."
He said when firefighters pulled back the siding, the wooden beams were glowing, but there were no flames.
Craig said the smoke detectors inside the house were never triggered. He said the fire was discovered only after someone saw smoke coming from the side of the house.
More like this story
- Annual Wellness Festival approaching
- Deadline nears for Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce awards nomininations
- Survivors of Jewish sites shooting victims plan remembrance
- KSU researchers develop heat-tolerant wheat
- Baldwin High School wrestling coach teaches success on mat while building long-lasting bonds