BHS boys stride to seventh title
Fans themselves had to race to keep up with the Baldwin High School boys cross country team Saturday in Wamego as the Bulldogs swept away the Class 4A State title for the seventh year running.
With 41 points, the Bulldogs set the Kansas 4A record for the lowest score by any other team on a 5-kilometer course.
"We had a tremendous race," coach Mike Spielman said. "They got up front and looked dominating."
The runner-up was Clearwater with 84 points and Wamego finished third with 119 points.
Remarkably, the Bulldogs' entire team finished in the top 30 and three runners placed in the top 10. The team was led by senior Sam Hinton who ended his career with a fifth-place finish.
"Saturday was a great day to run and the team had high expectations," Hinton said. "I am happy that I could be a part of the Baldwin cross country tradition. I am going to miss it a lot."
Finishing right behind Hinton was fellow senior Zac Towns in sixth. Sophomore Chris Elniff was the last of the Bulldogs to place in the top 10, bringing in a ninth-place finish. Juniors Keith Cowart and Grant Catloth finished up the pack at 12th and 16th, respectively.
The goal for the team was to have a 30-second split from the first runner to the fifth. That goal was shattered after they ran a 19-second split on Saturday.
"That split is the fastest I have ever seen in my running career," Hinton said. "I'd like to meet the team that can break it."
5. Sam Hinton, senior, 16:43; 6. Zac Towns, senior, 16:46; 9. Chris Elniff, sophomore, 16:50; 12. Keith Cowart, junior, 16:59; 16. Grant Catloth, junior, 17:02; 19. Brian Gerstner, senior, 17:06; 30. Dustin Schiller, freshman, 17:35.
More like this story
- Baldwin Bulldog cross country teams solid at Rim Rock
- Kobach seeks end to lawsuit against Kansas citizenship rule
- KNEA to appeal dismissal of teacher tenure lawsuit
- Baldwin High School cross country teams step up at Baldwin Invitational
- Baldwin City girl injured at Maple Leaf Festival when fire-suppressant canister activates