Archive for Thursday, May 20, 2004

Traffic signal project underway; to be installed late summer

May 20, 2004

It's just a matter of time until Baldwin's first traffic signal is installed, but it will actually be a little more time than what was originally planned.

Utility Director Terry McKinney told the Baldwin City Council at Monday's meeting the stoplight that will be installed at the intersection of U.S. Highway 56 and Sixth Street won't be in place until late August or early September. In January, McKinney told the Signal the goal was to have the traffic signal installed before the start of school in August.

advertisement

Council Member Ken Wagner said he knew Baldwin residents were ready to have the signal installed, though it would have been ideal to have it in place by the first of August.

"I think people in the community are waiting anxiously for the stoplight," Wagner said. "It would have been nice if it had been done before school started."

At Monday's meeting, the council took the next step in installing the signal by approving in a unanimous vote a construction bid, through the Kansas Department of Transportation, to J. Warren Company of Topeka.

The company's bid to install the signal was $113,000. McKinney told the council KDOT is responsible for 90 percent of the cost, leaving Baldwin to pay the remaining 10 percent.

Baldwin will also be responsible for the cost of the Emergency Vehicle System, which lets emergency vehicles change the traffic signal allowing them to go through the intersection without stopping. The cost for the system is nearly $5,500. That cost does not include the system transmitters for each emergency vehicle, which can cost between $700 and $1,000 a piece.

McKinney said for the installation of the traffic signal, Baldwin will be responsible for a total cost of a little more than $16,000.

In other business, the city council:

  • Approved in a 5-0 vote the revisions to the Uniform Personnel Rules and Regulations policy for Baldwin.
  • Approved in a 5-0 vote the appointment of Adam Todd and Carol Chapman to the Library Board of Trustees.
  • Approved in a 5-0 vote the year-long contract for custodial services for $10,000 to Afresh Services of Lawrence. The custodial company will be responsible for cleaning the Baldwin City Police Department, Baldwin Public Works Office and Baldwin Wastewater Treatment Plant.
  • Approved in a 5-0 vote the use of sidewalks in the 700 block of High Street for Art Walks on June 18, July 16, Aug. 20 and Sept. 17.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.