City employee sent to hospital after shock
A Baldwin City employee who was sent to the hospital last week after a work-related accident was back at work Tuesday.
Chris Croucher, a Baldwin lineman, was working at the city power plant last Wednesday when he received a shock after making contact with a live line, according to City Administrator Jeff Dingman.
"He was changing equipment from one phase to another, and the line was still alive," Dingman said. "He put a wrench on a bolt. It shocked him, but he didn't get a full jolt."
He said Croucher never lost consciousness, but was taken to an area hospital. He was released later that day after a few hours of observation. He said Croucher returned to work Tuesday.
Croucher, a nine-year employee of the city, passed tests earlier this year to become a Journeyman Lineman, the top in the electrical profession.
Dingman said Croucher and five or six other linemen and plant operators were working at the plant at the time of the accident.
"He was switching a cabinet out at the new power plant," he said. "He had done some of the work to take some of the power down."
But the power wasn't down like thought, he said, and Croucher was shocked.
Dingman said Baldwin has measures in place in an effort to keep accidents from occurring.
"There are procedures for locking out equipment when they take it out of service," he said. "They have procedures they go through before they touch something to verify it's safe."
Though he said he didn't know what, if any, procedures were followed the morning of the accident.
"It's hard to say," he said. "(Croucher) must have thought they were. But obviously, they were not, though."
Police Chief Mike McKenna said the Baldwin City Police Department has not completed its investigation of the incident.
Attempts to reach Croucher were unsuccessful.
Dingman said the city is currently working on revising some of the procedures followed when working with electricity. He said the department will also have a safety seminar at the end of the month as a review for its employees to try to avoid any other accidents.
"This could have been a lot worse," he said. "But he came out of it all right."