Cost amounts for annual fireworks
The annual Fourth of July Baldwin fireworks display is free for those watching, but the display comes with a hefty price for the organization sponsoring it.
Citizens for Baldwin City works all year raising money for the one evening's activities and fireworks display, according to Donna Kneedler.
"We do fundraisers all year long," Kneedler, fireworks committee co-chair, said. "It's a struggle for us."
She said each year the fireworks cost around $3,000. CFBC then usually raises around $1,000 more to pay for the band, the moon walk and other activities at the Fourth of July celebration.
She said CFBC's goal is to improve the festivities each year and make the event bigger, but the cost makes it difficult for the small organization.
Kneedler said CFBC receives contributions from local businesses, but it must also rely on donations from community members as well to make the event successful.
This year is no different. She said CFBC is still trying to raise enough money to pay for everything planned for Sunday.
Those who would like to help can donate at the gate Sunday. Contributions can also be sent to CFBC at PO Box 963 in Baldwin.
"We would love to make it bigger each year," she said.
More like this story
- BHS student among Lawrence Journal-World's academic all-stars
- Baldwin City, township firefighters battle prop blazes
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education