Bulldog cross country teams ranked No. 1
It came as no big surprise Monday when the pre-season coaches poll was released and Baldwin High School was ranked No. 1 in Class 4A on both the boys' and girls' sides.
"I guess we've got some work ahead of us," said coach Mike Spielman in response to the poll. "A lot of times the are going off past year's stuff and we've got a lot of kids coming back. They reward you for that."
The top five runners for both the BHS boys and girls return from last year's teams that both finished first at state. It was the fifth straight team title for the boys and the first-ever for the girls.
There are seven total runners who participate in varsity races, but only the top five finishers count.
"Most of the scoring is back, so we're looking to get deeper," said Spielman. "The young kids are really stepping it up."
BHS opens the season Thursday at Anderson County.
"This first meet Thursday will help us out a lot to see how we stack up," he said.
More like this story
- Baldwin High School wrestling coach teaches success on mat while building long-lasting bonds
- Health officials confirm tuberculosis case in Olathe
- Baldwin High School students commited fans of Bulldogs
- Four possible parking lot sites near BJHS/BHS campus reviewed
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament