Baldwin in brief
Financial aid available
The following scholarships are being offered by the Kansas Business and Professional Women's Educational Foundation. The scholarships are available to college students of any age, sex, race or ethnic background upon the recommendation of the Baldwin City BPW. For more information, contact Lisa Robertson, 594-2911.
1. Undergraduate Scholarship -- available to a college sophomore, junior or senior enrolled in a four-year academic program at an accredited college or university.
2. Career Development Scholarship -- available to individuals who have a career and want to broaden their education and/or increase their earning abilities.
3. Career Preparatory Scholarship -- available to individuals enrolled in either a one or two-year academic/career/vocational/technical program which will qualify them for immediate employment or transfer to a four-year undergraduate program.
4. Dena Nigus Memorial Scholarship -- available to junior, senior or graduate student who is preparing to teach in the special education field in Kansas.
5. Dr. Sharon Wiber Young Careerist Scholarship -- available to those who have represented their local BPW organization as a Young Careerist and to be used for coursework which would further enhance employable skills.
6. Elsie Borck Health care Scholarship -- available to individuals who are of at least junior standing and preparing for a career in the health professions in Kansas or an individual who is in the health care profession and wishing to upgrade their skills.
7. Carol Nigus Leadership Scholarship -- available to individuals who are enrolled in a Kansas school of higher education and who has demonstrated an extensive record of public and community service and outstanding leadership potential.
8. Dr. LewAnn Schneider Individual Development Scholarship -- available to individuals who have participated in the Individual Development course.
9. Mara Crawford Professional Development Scholarship -- available to a woman who is already in the workforce for over five years, has serious family obligations and would like to pursue further education in order to better herself and her family.
Chili Feed and Auction
sponsored by Rainbow
Rainbow Experience Preschool will have its annual chili feed and auction from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 10 in the Primary Education Center cafeteria, 700 Chapel. Stacy's Dance Studio will provide entertainment. Available at the auction will be a handmade quilt, an 8x10 Joe Montana Chiefs collector card, a 1998-99 autographed KU basketball, a DVD player, a child's chair and a handmade table. Tickets are available at the door. They are $5 for adults, $3 children, 3 and under are free.
Baker presents Fall
The Baker University Department of Music will feature the Concert Choir and Chamber Singers at the annual Fall Chorale Concert at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Rice Auditorium. The Olathe Intergenerational Choir under the direction of Ms. Texanna Ollenberger will also be featured. The Chamber Singers and Concert Choir are under the direction of John Buehler and are accompanied by Susan Buehler. There is no admission charge and the public is welcome to attend.
Ives Evening Circle
to have meeting
The Evening Circle of the Ives Chapel UMW will meet Oct. 8 at 7:15 p.m. with May Gorton as hostess and program leader. Opal Cromer will have devotions. Election of officers will be held and recognition of World Thank Offering.
Dickinson to guide
Cal Dickinson will lead a discussion of "The Journals of Lewis and Clark" at 7 p.m. on Oct. 9 in the Baldwin Public Library community room. Due to the limited number of books, if you have not read this book, feel free to attend.
Palmyra 4-H Club
The Palmyra 4-H Club meeting was called to order by Lindsey Hitchcock, president, at Ives Chapel. The song Michael Finnegan was led by Michaela Krysztof. Margaret Pendleton, Marla Metsker, Mark Jehle and Larry Wilson, sponsor, provided an informative presentation on Citizenship Washington Focus, a nationwide program organized by the National 4-H Council. Election of officers was held. Installation of officers will be in October.
BBB issues warning
Kansas to citizens
The Better Business Bureau of NE Kansas is warning consumers to avoid giving personal information to callers. Their advice is to hang up the phone if the caller asks for any account numbers, balances or personal information.
AAUW to have
annual fall brunch
The Baldwin Branch of the American Association of University Women will hold its annual Fall Brunch at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 4, at the home of Anita White. Co-hostesses are Roma Earles, Nora Cleland and Peggy Harris.
Harris will present the program, "A Report from College Women's Conference."
Guests are welcome. Anita White and Jan Boyd are