Baldwin Skyhawks take second at Emporia
EMPORIA -- The Baldwin Skyhawks 18 and under softball team finished second in the Wendy's Tournament here Saturday and Sunday.
The Skyhawks ended the tournament with a 4-1 record. The Chanute Connexion was first at 4-0-1 and Emporia Energy was third at 3-1-1.
Baldwin started the tourney off Saturday with a 2-0 win over Emporia Energy. Kasey Pittenger was the winning pitcher. Kari Garrison led the way offensively, going 2-for-4 with a run batted in.
The Skyhawks then downed the Lawrence Blast 7-4. Kyla Lewis was the winning pitcher. Haydon Hubbel was 2-for-3 with a pair of RBIs. They ended the day with a 5-0 shutout of the Paola crew. Pittenger improved to 2-0 on the mound. Garrison was 2-for-4 with an RBI and Megan Metzler had two RBIs.
Baldwin kept winning in the opening game Sunday with a 6-3 victory over SEK Sonic Boom. Lewis picked up the win to also move to 2-0. Garrison was 3-for-4 with two RBI and Metzler was 3-for-4 with an RBI.
The string ran out Sunday afternoon, however, as Baldwin was blanked 1-0 by the Burlington Sluggers. Pittenger took the loss and Kayla Pringle was 2-for-3.
Next up for the Skyhawks will be the Olathe Girls Softball Association "B" Tournament June 21-22.
More like this story
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Baldwin board asks for spending cuts to help cover slash in state funding
- Baldwin High School wrestling coach teaches success on mat while building long-lasting bonds
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises