Track Club qualifies two for Nationals
Members of the Baldwin Track Club competed at the Region Nine USA Track and Field Junior Olympics last week, and two qualified for Nationals in Miami later this month.
More than 900 youth from Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas competed in the track and field events at Memorial Stadium on the University of Kansas' campus last Wednesday through Saturday.
Qualifying for USATF National Junior Olympics was first place finisher Mason Johnson, midget, in the javelin (29-0); and Maurissa Shaffer, midget, second in the pentathlon. Johnson also placed sixth in the 100.
Also placing in last week's events were Alexis Shaffer, primary, third in the shot put and 11th in the 400; Leah Clay, youth, third in the heptathlon; Missy Westgate, intermediate, third in the heptathlon; Kelsey Heckathorne, intermediate, seventh in the 800; Jacob Runer, youth, eighth in the 400; and Isaac Twombly, midget, sixth in the shot put.
More like this story
- Douglas County delegation to travel to San Antonio to look at ways to reduce jail time for mentally ill
- Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund
- Baker University doctoral candidate awarded Fulbright Scholarship
- Proposed Baldwin City littering ordinance draws criticism
- GOP plan to overhaul Kansas school aid could move quickly