Letter to the editor
To the editor:
I have learned that in the next few weeks the City Commission and the USD 348 School Board are going to decide whether to continue the position of School Resource Officer (SRO). Regardless of your decision, I commend the City and USD 348 for having the courage and vision to establish this position in the first place. I would also like to thank the faculty, staff, parents and students of USD 348 for the opportunity to serve in that capacity.
In my 35 years of law enforcement, the SRO position has been the most rewarding. During the training that preceded my entry into the Baldwin school system, I learned the importance of being a "Significant-other" adult in the lives of your children. I also learned the importance of each of my roles, that of educator, counselor and law enforcement officer, as it pertained to my duties in the schools. I got to share in the lives of your children and along the way made friends with them and you. Even today, I share the joy of their successes and the sadness of their disappointments.
The SRO is an important part in the education and safety of our children and I would be disappointed to see the position disappear. The two governing bodies need your input. I have made my position known and now it is your turn to communicate your feelings about the SRO position to our elected and appointed officials as soon as you can.
More like this story
- Baldwin school board makes needed budget adjustment for next school year
- Lumberyard Arts Center schedules full slate of classes
- Kansas ban on profiting from fetal tissue sales in spotlight
- Eudora seeks county funding for paramedics, ambulance; sheriff requests funds for corrections
- Douglas County commissioners reach consensus on 2016 budget; property taxes to remain constant