Baldwin DCABA teams take second, third
In doubleheader action Monday night at Lawrence's 4-H ballfields, Baldwin's 10-year-old Bulldawgs captured third place in the Douglas County Amateur Baseball Association tournament, beating the Lawrence Shockers 11-10, before falling 11-9 to the Lawrence Suns to end the season.
After finishing league play with an undefeated, first place 20-0 record, the Bulldawgs opened tourney action June 30 with their first loss, to the Suns 13-11 in an extra innings contest. The Dawgs battled back the following night to defeat the Lawrence Bullets 17-1, setting up Monday's doubleheader.
For the season, Baldwin outscored opponents 382-114 en route to a 22-2 finish. Members of the Bulldawgs form the core of a select team participating the Kansas State Tournament, to be held in Hillsboro July 12-16.
The Baldwin 9-year-old DCABA team took second place in its tournament after a loss to the Pirates on Wednesday.
"I was very proud of all of the boys. They played hard until the last out and never gave up," said coach Rob Cleavinger. "I couldn't be more proud of the season they have had."
More like this story
- Eudora seeks county funding for paramedics, ambulance; sheriff requests funds for corrections
- Douglas County commissioners reach consensus on 2016 budget; property taxes to remain constant
- Overland Park approves 165-mile bicycle network
- Kansas House passes budget requiring higher taxes to balance
- City to ask KDOT for recommendations on how to enhance safety at Baldwin City crosswalk