Rural home catches fire
Fire caused extensive damage to the interior of a house east of Baldwin last week.
Fire broke out in a log house belonging to Steven and Danette Gregg, 454 E. 2100 Road, late Thursday morning. Steven Gregg was home at the time of the fire. No one was injured, but Palmyra Township Fire Chief Randy DeMersseman said the house sustained a lot of damage.
"The main damage was to the interior," DeMersseman said. "The outer walls are still good, just charred."
He said because the frame of the house was made of logs 10 to 12 inches thick, the fire burned slower than normal.
"If it had been a normal stick-built house, there would have been a lot more damage," he said.
The fire started in the basement of the house, he said, and the cause appeared to be electrical.
DeMersseman said he is unsure of the total loss.
"Because it is one of the very few structures like it, it will be hard to come up with an estimate for the loss," he said. "But it will be a very substantial loss."
A fund has been started to help the Greggs with their expenses. Contributions can be dropped off at Baldwin State Bank.
More like this story
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall
- Severe Weather Awareness Week approaches; Douglas County prepares
- Douglas County will create a public building commission
- Construction to close CR 1055 on March 23 north of Baldwin City