Archive for Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Back porch, kitchen burn in blaze

April 16, 2003

A fire damaged the kitchen and back porch of a Baldwin house over the weekend.

According to Baldwin City Fire Chief Allen Craig, fire broke out at 203 Ninth St. around 5:30 p.m. Sunday causing around $125,000 in damage to the house belonging to Rob and Karen Bayer.

Karen Bayer was home at the time of the fire. No one was injured in the blaze, Craig said, but three cats and a parakeet died from smoke inhalation.

He said the fire started on the back porch in a trash bag that contained paper, paint and stripper the Bayers had been using to remodel part of their house.

"It was spontaneous combustion from chemicals," he said.

Karen Bayer tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher, Craig said, but the extinguisher didn't discharge.

"If it had worked, it would have been big enough to take care of the fire," he said.

Wind blew the fire from the porch, through the door and into the kitchen, he said.

"There's extensive fire damage on the back porch and in the kitchen," he said. "There's heavy smoke damage throughout the house, including upstairs."

It took Baldwin, Palmyra and Willow Springs firefighters to extinguish the blaze.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.