Smith honored for work
It's been a big week for long-time Baldwin City resident Martha Smith.
Smith turned 97 Sunday and was honored at Vinland United Methodist Church with a corsage. But that's not all by a long shot.
On Tuesday, Smith was honored at the Civic Center in Topeka as the "oldest" employee in the state of Kansas. Smith runs the Coal Creek Library in Vinland.
It's yet another chapter in the long history of the Kelley family, which Smith is part of. Her sisters are well-known historians, among other things. Sister Anne Hemphill is the Vinland/United Methodist Church historian and sister Katharine Kelley has documented Baldwin history which can be viewed at the Baldwin City Public Library.
A feature story on Smith will be in next week's Signal.
More like this story
- Douglas County will create a public building commission
- Kansas committee review bill to boost tobacco, alcohol taxes
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Baldwin board, council oppose proposed changes to local elections
- Baldwin board asks for spending cuts to help cover slash in state funding