Events set mood for holidays
There should be a little something for everyone in Baldwin looking to get into the holiday spirit this year.
As usual, there are several holiday activities and events planned for this season, but there are also some changes from previous years.
Several events are planned for the weekend of Dec. 7 and 8. Starting activities on that Saturday will be the Three Sisters' Inn open house from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For the third year in a row, the light parade and tree lighting ceremony will kick off the Christmas season. Set for 6 p.m. Dec. 8, the parade, complete with floats, lights and Santa Claus, will make its way downtown for the annual tree lighting ceremony.
Included in the evening's activities will also be Hedges Real Estate open house and the Baldwin Community Arts Council holiday art sale.
The BCAC art sale is a new, weekend-long event this year replacing the traditional Christmas Tea.
"We decided to put our efforts into having the holiday art sale instead of the tea this year and see what response we get from people," Sandy Cardens of the BCAC said. "We may resume the tea at some future time."
The art sale, which will be at the former video store at 715 Eighth St., will feature a variety of work by local artists including pottery, photography and paintings. Musical groups will perform throughout the sale and refreshments will also be available.
The sale is from 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 6, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 7 and noon to 6 p.m. Dec. 8.
Before the parade, Ives Chapel United Methodist Church will have a nativity scene display from 5 to 7 p.m. at Stacy's Dance Studio.
Also on the night of Dec. 8 is Baker University's candlelight vespers at 4 and 7:30 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church.
One annual event that won't be taking place this year is the Holiday Homes Tour. Debbie French-Morgan of Stephens Real Estate said there weren't enough people available to make it successful this year.
"I hate not having it," she said. "But we have a lack of manpower."
She said hopefully the homes tour will start back up next year.
There are several holiday events occurring the closer it gets to Christmas including the Baldwin High School vocal concert, the Marion Springs Elementary School Christmas program and the annual Vinland United Methodist Church Living Nativity.
Here's a list of holiday activities in the area:
- Kansas City Brass quintet Christmas concert, 7:30 p.m. Dec. 3, First United Methodist Church, 704 Eighth St.
- BCAC holiday art sale, 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 6, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 7 and noon to 6 p.m. Dec. 8, 715 Eighth St.
- Three Sisters' Inn open house, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 7, 1035 Ames St.
- Baker University candlelight vespers 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Dec. 8, First United Methodist Church, 704 Eighth St.
- Ives Chapel United Methodist Church nativity scene display, 5 to 7 p.m. Dec. 8, Stacy's Dance Studio
- Baldwin City tree lighting ceremony, light parade and Santa's arrival, 6 p.m. Dec. 8, downtown Baldwin
- BHS vocal concert, 7:30 p.m. Dec. 11, Baldwin Junior High School Auditorium
- MSES Christmas program 7 p.m. Dec. 12
- Germanfest, beginning at 4 p.m. Dec. 14, Clearfield United Methodist Church, 2197 N. 600 Road, Eudora
- BJHS winter band/vocal concert, 7 p.m. Dec. 19, BJHS auditorium
- Vinland United Methodist Church living nativity, 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 20-22, Vinland Fairgrounds
More like this story
- Baldwin City Council candidate profiles
- Congregate meals to end after next month at Baldwin City Senior Center
- USD 348 at-large board candidate Kelley Bethell-Smith
- Potential pilot program could make recycling easier for residents in unincorporated Douglas County
- Baldwin City prepares for Friday arrival of 880 bicyclists