Local minister receives award
Ira DeSpain, Baker University minister, is the recipient of the 2002 Francis Asbury Award for Fostering United Methodist Ministries in Higher Education. DeSpain was presented the award at the beginning of the Kansas East Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church Thursday in Baldwin.
The award is given each year to a person, clergy or lay, who is a member of the United Methodist Church and has been an outstanding leader active in supporting, strengthening, and promoting work in higher education ministries. DeSpain received the award for his work with students on Baker's campus including his work with the Baker Ambassadors and moving the Osborne Memorial Chapel to campus.
More like this story
- Lumberyard Arts Center schedules full slate of classes
- Baldwin wrestlers tune up for league meet two sweep at Osawatomie
- Lawrence-Douglas County health department to host measles vaccination clinics
- Baldwin City purchasing right to provide electrical service to industrial park
- AT&T aims to match Google broadband in Kansas City