Boys place all runners in the top 11 spots
It was another easy win for the Baldwin High School boys cross country team at the Prairie View meet Thursday. BHS had all of its runners finish in the top 11 places.
"It was a good meet for us," said coach Mike Spielman. "We ran well. It was nice and low key."
Baldwin High's finishes were: Matt Noonan, first, 15:42; Eric Black, second, 16:32; Glen Stansberry, sixth, 17:07; Jonathan Strong, seventh, 17:17; Phil Wagner, eighth, 17:22; Hans Broers, ninth, 17:29; and Edd Stansberry, 11th, 17:52.
BHS is the defending state Class 4A champion and ranked No. 1 in the cross country poll. But, Spielman still has his eye on an earlier opponent.
"Wamego is probably the next best team," he said. "We beat them by 30 points at their meet. They get better as the year goes on."
BHS's junior varsity runners also did well at Prairie View. Those finishes were: Zach Towns, first, 11:16; Brayton Gladhart, second, 11:18; Brian Gerstner, third, 11:43; Sam Hinton, fourth, 12:23; Cy Kueffer, fifth, 12:36; Adam Hoffmeier, ninth, 13:23; William Elniff, 20th, 14:18; and Andrea Brandenberger, eighth, 14:05 in the freshman race.
Next up for the Baldwin High cross country team is the Sabetha Invitational on Oct. 4. That's followed by the Frontier League meet at Gardner on Oct. 11. Regionals are Oct. 20 and then it's time to defend the state title once again on Oct. 27.
More like this story
- Kansas school funding dispute heading back to high court
- Kansas ponders new protections for campus religious groups
- Baldwin High School wrestling coach teaches success on mat while building long-lasting bonds
- Baldwin girls turn in defensive gem to earn road win at Louisburg
- Christie wins another term, three new members elected to Baldwin City Council