Archive for Wednesday, September 19, 2001

Fire breaks out at Baker residence hall

September 19, 2001

A fire broke out at a Baker University residence hall last week.

John Fuller, Baker's director of public relations, said a small fire broke out Sept. 11 in a residence hall room at Gessner Hall, Sixth and Dearborn streets.

Fuller said one student was treated and released at the scene and another student was treated and released from an Overland Park hospital for minor burns to his hands.

The fire, which was contained to one room, began when a lit candle burned down and caught a mattress and some other surrounding items on fire, Fuller said.

Gessner occupants were evacuated for about an hour while the Baldwin Fire Department cleared the smoke out of the residence hall.

Fuller said damage was estimated to be less than $500.

Baker policy does not allow candles in the residence halls.

"Obviously this is a good example of why we don't allow candles," Fuller said. "We haven't had many problems over the years, but we just can't have students burning candles."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.