Bulldogs fall in extra-inning thriller
The Baldwin High School girls softball team had an excellent season this year despite a disappointing loss to Mill Valley in regional play Thursday that ended the season.
BHS played at Wyandotte County Park and the competion was hosted by K.C. Piper. The Bulldogs lost 2-1 in 14 innings to Mill Valley, ending a season that included a Frontier League title and a 17-3 record, as well as a first-round regional win over DeSoto by a 13-0 score.
"What a well-played game what a loss! I am so very proud of the classy effort put forth by these outstanding young ladies," said coach Ginny Honomichl. "They fought to the end which was two and a half hours after the start. We've had an outstanding season going 17-3. All three losses were by only one run and two of those were in extra innings."
This second-year team is going to miss its graduating seniors: Kristen Wessel, Suzie Weege, Tarin Troth, Erika Young and Mary Martin.
"We will definitely miss our five seniors. Their leadership has set the example for our future teams, and our future looks solid. Thanks to everyone for making this season so special," said Honomichl.
More like this story
- Court revives lawsuit from ex-detective who exposed beating
- Kansas State researches using drones to protect crops
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown
- Lenexa man suspected of injuring kids, damaging cars
- Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund