Hornets add league win
The Baldwin City Hornets are off to a fast start in the Lawrence Holcomb 15-16-year-old league, winning three games last week. The Hornets are unbeaten in league play at 4-0.
Baldwin beat the Twins 21-0 and Devil Rays 11-0. Each game featured outstanding pitching and a grand slam. Brian Wendt threw a one-hit, complete-game shutout against the Twins and Anthony Myrick hit a grand slam. Ricky Woodbridge also added a three-run home run. Grant Meisenheimer added three hits.
In the Devil Rays win in Baldwin City, Woodbridge pitched a complete-game shutout. The Hornets scored nine runs in the first inning, which included a grand slam by Brian Turk. Woodbridge, Wendt and Jay King added key hits in the win.
Earlier in the week, Baldwin beat the Dodgers 9-7 in Lawrence. The Hornets jumped to a 7-0 lead and were able to keep the lead with solid defense and timely pitching. Meisenheimer, Ryne Jackson and Seth Johnson all threw in the win.
The Hornets continue league play this week with games on Thursday and Saturday in Lawrence.
More like this story
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises
- Baldwin Healtcare and Rehabilitation has new ownership
- Baldwin board asks for spending cuts to help cover slash in state funding
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty