Softball team finishes second
Harry North Construction, one of Baldwin's 12 & Under softball teams, has completed play for the season and finished second in both league play (10-1) and in the Tri-County Tournament held recently in Eudora.
The team relied on steady pitching from Charley Jo Schwartz and Courtney Johnson all season long, as well as timely team hitting to finish with only one defeat in regular season League play.
Head Coach Paul Vander Tuig noted that "this group may have been the best hitting team in this Tri-County League this year. While hitting scores runs, our pitching was incredible. Statistically on our season, our pitching staff and defense held opponents to a .230 batting average in all games played. We ran into a hot Wellsville team in the tournament and in the one regular season loss, but other than that, we played very well."
"We also got a chance to participate in a tournament in Overland Park a couple of weeks ago," said Vander Tuig. "It was a new level for both coaches and players, but the team came away from the tournament knowing how high-caliber softball was played. It was a long, hot weekend, but a fun one where we learned a lot."
More like this story
- Lawrence, Douglas County officials tap D.C. conference for low-level drug offense insights
- Baldwin City woman 2nd person charged in alleged attack at Douglas County State Fishing Lake
- Court revives lawsuit from ex-detective who exposed beating
- Wichita says pot ordinance should be stayed till court rules
- Kansas urges court to let governor, lawmakers decide funding