Skyhawks take second
EMPORIA The Baldwin Skyhawks came home with their best finish of the summer, taking second place in the Emporia Sunflower Showdown Tournament over the weekend.
The Skyhawks were on a roll, winning 3-2 over the Chase County MadDawgs and 6-3 over Kansas Khaos Saturday in pool play. They then opened Sunday's single-elimination action with a 6-0 shutout over the Manhattan Busters. That was followed by a 2-1 win over the Bartlesville Aces and a 9-0 shutout over Khaos in the semifinals.
The string ran out in the championship game, however, as the Skyhawks fell 8-3 to the Independence Shockers. The finish had coach Ginny Honomichl pleased.
"Congratulations go to these young ladies on a fine tournament outing," said Honomichl. "Considering we are never able to get all of us together to practice, we had a strong 'team' showing. Sunday was a long, hot but rewarding day for the Skyhawks."
Pitcher Kyrstan Hubbel won three of the games, including both shutouts. Satinne Maring pitched the other three games, picking up two victories.
The Skyhawks will be idle for awhile. Their next tournament action is July 20-22 in the U.S.S.S.A. Kansas North State Championship at the Johnson County Girls Athletic Association complex.
More like this story
- Baldwin City graduate season starts Saturday with Baker School of Professional and Graduate Studies commencemnts
- Kansas City Connection: Don't be a stranger to this pie social
- Kansas City Connection: Eating recommendations for moms (and everyone else)
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms