Flag holder effort is set for veterans
All of the graves of American veterans buried in Baldwin City area cemeteries will soon be marked with flag holders.
The Lloyd Beaton American Legion Post 228 has already purchased 50 flag holders for veterans' graves. Legion members hope to get help from community businesses and residents to be able to purchase enough flag holders for each veteran.
"There are already legion holders for legion members," post commander Fred McCreary said. "But not all of the veterans were legion members, so some don't have flag holders."
He said each flag holder cost $10.
"We don't have a count yet of how many we need, but I'm sure it will run up there," McCreary said.
There are a couple of reasons the legion wanted to purchase flag holders, he said.
"We want to recognize those who fought, especially those who died four our country," McCreary said.
"And it's important we have something to hold our flag in high honor," he said. "It's kind of crude to just stick it in the ground."
Anyone interested in purchasing a flag holder for a veteran grave can call McCreary at 594-2761 or Archer Carlson at 594-6655.
More like this story
- 25 years on, disabilities act has changed lives of millions
- Baldwin Junction man remembers sporting life of following the bouncing ball
- Antler broker flourishes in his Delphos business
- Professor finds rare audio of basketball inventor Naismith
- Use of batboys and girls suspended after 9-year-old's death