Blaze damages home
A rural Baldwin home was damaged by fire early last Wednesday, but the family living in the house was uninjured.
Willow Springs Fire Chief Lyle Bowlin said the fire call was received about 2:15 a.m. last Wednesday. Willow Springs firefighters were on the scene by 2:30 a.m. Firefighters from Palmyra Township also responded.
"When we rode up on the scene, there was heavy smoke rolling out of the house," Bowlin said.
Bowlin said the fire started in a bedroom closet at 195 E. 1100 Road, and was apparently caused by faulty electrical wiring. He said a smoke detector alerted the residents to the fire, who tried to extinguish it with a water hose. The house is rented by Larry Jackson.
Damage from the fire was confined to the bedroom. However, the entire house received smoke damage, Bowlin said.
Cold temperatures and slick roads did not prevent about 18 firefighters from responding. The temperature didn't affect the hoses, until the water was shut off.
"We didn't have to squirt a lot of water," Bowlin said. "But when we shut down, the hoses iced up."
Bowlin said the residents resumed living in the house.
More like this story
- Kansas State awards $500K in grants for global food research
- Baldwin district not looking to take cost-saving measurers making headlines elsewhere in state
- Budget, taxes head up crowded agenda for Kansas Legislature
- Baldwin school board makes needed budget adjustment for next school year
- Regents President and CEO Tompkins retires