Seventh graders win to end season at 4-10
The Baldwin Junior High School seventh-grade girls closed out the season here Thursday with a hard-fought 30-29 win over Louisburg.
"What a great way to finish the season," said coach Brenda Shawley. "The girls committed themselves to getting better and they made great strides each game. It was an honor to have coached such great kids."
BJHS grabbed a slim 5-4 lead in the first quarter. That would prove to be the difference. The teams then matched scoring in the three remaining quarters, with nine, six and 10 points for the final 30-29 margin.
Annie Hannon paced the attack with 11 points. Katie Frank had nine points. Kelsey Verhaeghe had seven points, six rebounds and four steals. Amanda Vander Tuig chipped in with five rebounds.
The win ended the year for the team with a 4-10 record.
In junior varsity play, it was more of the same as BJHS squeaked out a 12-11 win in overtime. Luna Novelo and Molly Landon both had four points for BJHS, which ended the season with a 6-4 record.
More like this story
- Insurance companies say 2014 exchange members older, sicker
- Hospitals push for Medicaid expansion in Kansas
- Douglas County delegation to travel to San Antonio to look at ways to reduce jail time for mentally ill
- Kansas officials hope budget puzzle pieces drop into place
- Kansas farm experts plan webinar on crop insurance