BHS Culinary Team third in state
Adam Smith, Mikael Elliott, Kortney Voss, Katie Kurtz and Lacey Rockhold, members of the Baldwin High School Culinary Team, were named third in the state and awarded bronze medals during the "Taste of Kansas" culinary competition Friday at Johnson County Community College.
Each team member was also awarded a $1,500 scholarship to Johnson and Wales University.
The competition consisted of two phases: knife skills and preparation of a three-course signature meal. Participating teams demonstrated their creative abilities during the competition through the preparation of a meal consisting of: a salad/soup, protein (such as meat, fish or fowl), a starch, a vegetable and a cold or flambe dessert.
Participating teams demonstrated their ability to work together while creating and presenting their meal. This competition was designed for students capable of a high level of food preparation.
The event was sponsored by the Kansas Restaurant Association Foundation, the Kansas Wheat Commission and Johnson County Community College.
More like this story
- Audit finds UMKC business school ran up deficit to boost ranking
- Baldwin City artist Tom Russell dies
- Baldiwn City church makes free meal, fellowshp a monthly mission
- Baldwin school district partnering with Greenbush in virtual program
- Education focus: JCCC CDL training puts students in the driver's seat for a new career