Share of league title to Hornets
The Baldwin City Hornets 15-16 team closed its season with a 14-5 win over the Lawrence Devil Rays last week to claim a share of the Holcomb League crown. The Hornets won seven games straight to end the season and finished 14-3 in league play.
The Hornets broke open a 5-5 game with a nine-run sixth inning. After Brian Turk drew a lead-off walk, Grant Meisenheimer and Ricky Woodbridge slammed back-to-back triples. Jay King, Anthony Myrick and Seth Belfield also had hits and drove in runs.
Hornet coach John Fuller said he was pleased that the team improved as the season progressed.
"We ended the season with a solid win streak and a tie for the league lead," Fuller said. "I thought we became more focused on the field as the season went on. It was an enjoyable year and I think the experience will help the players in high school ball next spring."
The Hornets players are Brian Turk, Grant Meisenheimer, Ricky
Woodbridge, Cal Heinrich, Ryne Jackson, Seth Johnson, Daniel Musgrave, J.D. King, Charles Barnes, Brian Wendt, Anthony Myrick, Seth Belfield, Nick Nelson, Scott Johnson and Dennis Craig.
More like this story
- Kansas court considers handling of school funding lawsuit
- Judge to consider blocking Kansas ban on abortion method
- Analysis: Kansas abortion ruling could have sweeping effects
- Judge blocks Kansas' ban on 2nd-trimester abortion procedure
- Baldwin High School senior to graduate 2 1/2 years after massive stoke