BHS tennis takes second
For the second time in two weeks, the Baldwin High School tennis team came away with a second-place trophy. This time it was at the DeSoto Invitational Tournament and Baldwin was only one point out of first after sweeping the doubles competition.
St. Thomas Aquinas won the tourney with 13 points, followed by Baldwin with 12, DeSoto (11), Mill Valley (3), Lansing and Lincoln, Mo., (both 2) and Topeka Hayden (0).
Baldwin's No. 1 doubles team of Holly Oakleaf and Suzie Weege finished first with a 3-0 record, the second set of championship medals the team has won already this year.
BHS's No. 2 doubles team of Colleen Kivett and Carissa Venable did the same, also going 3-0 to win championship medals.
Melissa Johnson in No. 2 singles went 2-1 to finish third place for the Bulldogs. No. 1 singles player Sarah Beaulieu went 0-2 on the day.
"What a strange, trying and yet rewarding day," said coach Ginny Honomichl. "The tournament format and the increasing heat and wind became challenges.
"However, congratulations to our young ladies on their fine team effort and tournament finish," said Honomichl. "Our doubles teams were undefeated."
The Bulldogs are playing host to the Baldwin Invitational Tournament today, which got underway at 8:30 a.m. on the BHS and Baker University courts.
More like this story
- Baldwin City woman 2nd person charged in alleged attack at Douglas County State Fishing Lake
- 2 dead after shooting in Overland Park
- Lenexa man suspected of injuring kids, damaging cars
- Police: Woman arrested in battery of police horse in Wichita
- PAC available for Baldwin City community tornado shelter but users asked to follow rules