Services for Ester May (Eckman) McTaggart, 87, Lawrence, were Saturday, May 20, at the Clearfield United Methodist Church. Burial followed in Clearfield Cemetery.
Mrs. McTaggart died Wednesday, May 17, 2000 at Lawrence Presbyterian Manor.
She was born Dec. 5, 1912, in Vinland, the daughter of Youdon and Jennie Louise (Piper) Eckman. She graduated from Vinland High School and earned a bachelor's degree at Baker University in 1966.
Mrs. McTaggart taught the first kindergarten class at Edgerton Elementary School in the early 1960s, and continued teaching second grade until retiring in 1977. She was a member of the Clearfield United Methodist Church.
She married George A. McTaggart in May 1936 in Lawrence. He died Nov. 3 1966.
Survivors include two sons, Robert B. Edgerton, and Olaf Ray, Independence, Mo.; two daughters, Sherry Garrison, Paola, and Elizabeth Esterchild, Dallas; a brother, Albert Eckman, Baldwin City; a sister, Mabel Seele, Lawrence; 13 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.
A son, Edward William McTaggart, died in 1996.
The family suggests memorials to the Clearfield United Methodist Church or the Good Samaritan Fund at Lawrence Presbyterian Manor, sent in care of Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Baldwin City home base for world-wide netter
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Kansas City Connection: More holiday events, tasty eats and food for your ears
- Baker women start hoops season 3-0