Archive for Wednesday, March 22, 2000

Rural Baldwin home destroyed by blaze

March 22, 2000

A rural Baldwin house at 1192 N. 100 Road was destroyed by a fire caused by a faulty hot water heater early Monday morning.

The Willow Springs Township Fire Department responded to the call that came in about 2:30 a.m., said Chief Lyle Bowlin. The house was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived, and mutual aid was sought by the Palmyra Township Fire Department.

Bowlin said smoke from the fire woke up the home owner, whose name he did not have, and he was able to escape without injury. The smoke detector at the home was working, Bowlin said.

The two-story house was listed as a total loss. The home owner said the Douglas County appraisal for the house is $50,000. Loss of contents was listed at $20,000.

The cause of the fire was investigated by the State Fire Marshal.

Palmyra firefighters responded to the house fire just hours after assisting the Baldwin City Fire Department with a fire that destroyed Popp's Restaurant, 131 Baker.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.