Margaret Elizabeth ‘Betty’ Hanscom
Margaret Elizabeth "Betty" Hanscom, 81, died March 1, 2000, in Sun City West Arizona. Cause of death was listed as a brain tumor.
Ms. Hanscom was born in Lawrence in 1918 as Margaret Elizabeth Smith, where her grandfather and father, C.W. Smith and Leo Smith Sr., operated the Ford agency. During the depression the Ford agency was sold and the family moved to Baldwin City where her father established another Ford agency. Ms. Hanscom attended Baker University but later graduated from the University of New Mexico. She attended the University of Kansas in 1954 where she obtained a teaching certificate while her husband, a Naval officer, was overseas during the Korean War
Margaret Elizabeth Hansom is survived by her husband, retired Chief Administrative Law Judge Federal Trade Commission, five children, 13 grandchildren, a brother Leo Smith, Jr. of Baldwin City, and a sister Cynthia Sewell who lives in the Washington, D.C. area.
More like this story
- Topeka to pay $10K for sewage release
- Baldwin City girl injured at Maple Leaf Festival when fire-suppressant canister activates
- Douglas County commission waives bidding process for jail to seek out new medical service provider
- Kansas' water conservation program draws shallow interest
- New natural gas extractions plant operating in Kansas