William D. Morehead
William D. Morehead, 77, Baldwin City, passed away Monday, March 6, 2000, at the Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
He was born Nov. 18, 1922 in Kirksville, Mo. the son of James Oliver and May Lillian (Ford) Morehead. He grew up and graduated from the Kirksville High School in 1939. He graduated from the Kirksville College of Osteopathy and Surgery in 1946 and was a graduate of the Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery where he received a doctorate degree in Osteopathy. He served during World War II as an Ensign in the United States Navy Medical Corp. He was president of Morehead, Inc. and a farmer and conservationist.
Mr. Morehead enjoyed refinishing antiques, coaching little league football and was a coach for the Kiwanis baseball team in Raytown, Mo.
He married Ruth Joy Evans on Nov. 11, 1945 at Peshastin, Wash. She survives of the home.
Other survivors include two sons, Paul J. Morehead and his wife Carol of Fairfield, Iowa, and Bill D. Morehead Jr. Overbrook; two sisters, Mabel Karaff of Town Creek, Ala., and Bessie Cleveland of Macon, Mo.; and two grandchildren.
One brother, Robert Morehead, and one sister, Irma Morehead, preceded him in death.
Mr. Morehead was cremated. There are no scheduled services. Memorial contributions may be made to the Salvation Army of Lawrence, which may be sent in care of the Lamb-Roberts-Heise Funeral Home, P.O. Box 64, Baldwin City 66006.
More like this story
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Baldwin City Council awards contract for U.S. 56/High Street realignment
- Baldwin City to make application for KDOT grant to improve safety at Eighth Street highway crossing
- Rural Kansas road to become Home on the Range Highway
- Construction to close CR 1055 on March 23 north of Baldwin City