Walt’s softball team finishes first
Baldwin 2, 10-and-under softball team sponsored by Walt's Pizza, swept their opponents on their way to first place in the Tri-County Softball Tournament in Eudora on June 10.
The team, coached by Paul Vander Tuig, won four games with strong offensive and defensive efforts. Game one against Wellsville 2 ended in an 18-3 victory. Winning pitcher was Courtney Johnson with six strikeouts. Callie Craig, Johnson and Emily James scored three times. Jamie Voigts, Colby Heckathorne, Nicole and Sarah Eberhart scored twice and Brittany Tomlinson scored once.
Game two pitted DeSoto 1 against the Baldwin squad. Callie Craig struck out 15 on the way to an extra inning battle ending in Baldwin's favor 3-2. Heckathorne, Voigts, N. Eberhart and Craig each had one hit. Brianna Krysztof belted two RBIs and N. Eberhart added one RBI.
Johnson got the win in Game 3 striking out six. The final score was 8-1 over Wellsville 1. Craig had two hits and Heckathorne scored three times. The final was a rematch against Wellsville 1 for the first-place trophy. Craig pitched for the 12-10 victory with eight strikeouts. Johnson, Voigts, James and Krysztof had RBIs for the Baldwin team. Melissa Baker and Voigts each scored twice. Amanda Vander Tuig was sidelined with a broken arm during the tournament.
More like this story
- Timely bond refinance to help Baldwin district deal with block grant cuts
- Block grant proposal would cost Baldwin schools $100,000
- Baldwin school board makes needed budget adjustment for next school year
- Baldwin board asks for spending cuts to help cover slash in state funding
- Baldwin district not looking to take cost-saving measurers making headlines elsewhere in state