Arnold George Torneden
Graveside services for Arnold George Torneden, 95, Baldwin City, were Friday at Memorial Park Cemetery, Lawrence.
Mr. Torneden died June 20, 2000, at the Baldwin Care Center.
Mr. Torneden was born May 31, 1905, at Linwood, Kan., the son of Fredrick George Torneden and Caroline (Kampschroeder) Torneden. He married Madge French in 1934.
Mr. Torneden was an active community leader in Reno, Tonganoxie and Baldwin City for all his adult life. Among his many involvements were school board member in Villa Eden and Reno, 4-H leader and superintendent of swine division county fair. He served on FHA and was a Leavenworth committee member on the A.S.C. for more than 15 years. He was a trustee and administrator of Reno Methodist Church. He worked with the Meals on Wheels program for more than 20 years. He was president of the Southern Leavenworth Council on Aging and was on the building committee of the Riford Senior Center in Tonganoxie. After moving to Baldwin City, he joined the Now or Never seniors club and took an active role in all activities.
Survivors include his wife, Baldwin City; a son Arnold Duane Torneden and his wife Nancy of Titusville, Fla.; and a daughter Rettalou Massey and her husband Bob of Baldwin City; two grandchildren, three great grandchildren and a sister, Lillian Gantz of Lawrence.
Memorials may be left for Hospice Care in Douglas County or Visiting Nurses Association in care of Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home, P.O. Box 1260, Lawrence, KS 66044.
More like this story
- Baldwin's Dorathy, Lawrence superintendent worry about more cuts as Legislature looks for way out of red ink
- More Kansas teachers leaving state, retiring
- Baldwin students outperform peers on state assessments; district wants better
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- Timely bond refinance to help Baldwin district deal with block grant cuts