Hornets win battle of Baldwin
Baldwin City's Hornets 13-14 year-old baseball team won three of four games last week to push its regular season record to 8-2 and overall record to 13-4.
Thanks to a complete game by pitcher by Grant Meisenheimer and a five-run fourth inning, the Hornets beat the Baldwin Hammers 12-4 on Wednesday in Baldwin. Meisenheimer and Scott Johnson had two hits each and Brian Turk scored three runs.
On Friday in Baldwin, the Hornets rallied for an extra inning 8-7 win against the Lawrence Athletics. Turk threw six innings and picked up the win. Meisenheimer struck out the final six batters. Brian Wendt drove in the winning run in the eighth inning when he beat out an infield single with bases loaded and two outs.
Saturday's 13-5 win against in Lawrence against the Mets featured a complete-game pitching performance by Wendt and an inside-the-park home run by Kyle Flory. Meisenheimer had four singles, Turk had two doubles and a single, and Tanner Taul pounded two singles. J.D. King scored three runs.
In Sunday's game the Athletics broke open a close game with an eight-run seventh inning for a 13-7 win. The Hornets play the Hammers tonight at 6 in Baldwin and travel to Lawrence on Friday to face the Tigers.
More like this story
- Conceptual plan for new public works complex shared with Baldwin City Council
- Coming auction of rural Baldwin City property drawing interest
- Baldwin City Council considering citizen survey on CIP needs
- Baldwin City's Orchard Lane completing renovation of apartment building
- Baldwin City to work with owners of unsafe electrical meters