Baldwin Hornets move into tie for league lead
With three wins last week, the Baldwin City Hornets are 17-4 and tied for the lead in the 13-14 year-old Houk-Ice league in Lawrence.
Thanks to a complete-game pitching performance by Brian Turk, the Hornets beat the White Sox 10-8 in Lawrence to pull into a tie for the league lead with the Sox. Kyle Flory and Austin Inzer each had three hits and J.D. King, Brian Wendt and Turk had two hits each.
The Hornets won a close game against the Mets, winning 6-4 in Lawrence. King threw for the Hornets and had a single, double and triple. Flory and Turk also picked up extra-base hits. Andrew Bartlow scored two runs.
On Friday in Lawrence, the Hornets broke open a close game with a seven-run seventh inning and beat the Yankees 14-4. Wendt picked up the pitching win, throwing a complete game. Seth Belfield, Turk, King and Bartlow each had two hits. The Hornets continue play against the Rockies Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. in Baldwin.
More like this story
- Douglas County departments show off new public works facility
- Education focus: JCCC partners with Clorox for on-site manufacturing courses
- Kansas opens state workers' health plan to same-sex spouses
- Kansas schools, colleges, hospitals would feel sting of cuts
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers