Gilges to AFA tournament
Baldwin High School sophomore Jenny Gilges, is headed to Longmont, Colo., July 26 - 30 to play in the AFA Class B National 14 and Under Softball Tournament.
The Lawrence Blast, coached by Gilges' father, Rodney Gilges, along with Todd Welborn and Bob Stanclift, both of Lawrence, were undefeated at the National Qualifier Tournament in Johnson County over Father's Day weekend.
The Blast outscored their opponents over the weekend 75-20. On Saturday, the Blast defeated the St. Louis Quest 11-1; KC Dream Catchers 18-0; KC Rockies 14-1 and the KC Warriors 3-2. On Sunday, the Blast defeated the KC Rage I 5-4; KC Rage II 10-6; Olathe Ultimate 6-5 and the Lawrence Lightning 8-1.
Gilges had a tournament batting average of .688 that included four doubles and an opening game home run over the fence. Gilges plays catcher for the Blast.
Area merchants have agreed to assist Gilges in raising funds for the trip by placing donation jars in their places of business. An estimated cost for Gilges to make the trip is approximately $400 - $500 which pays for tournament fees, transportation, lodging and meals.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Severe Weather Awareness Week approaches; Douglas County prepares
- Baldwin City council hears updates on quality-of-life projects
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- Musing from the Hill, March 26