Commissioner Taul won’t seek re-election
Tom Taul has made it official. He won't run for re-election to the Douglas County Commission post he's had for the last three years.
"I think to be fair to everyone, I need to let everyone know," Taul said Tuesday about the decision not to run. "I've been needing to do that for a couple of weeks."
Taul said he has enjoyed his experience as a commissioner, but feels he needs to devote more time to business endeavors.
"I've really enjoyed the commission, but I know another four years is a big commitment," he said. "My work is continuing to grow. The next four years are going to be very important for me financially."
Taul, a veterinarian, was amazed by what being a commissioner entails.
"The experience I've gained you can't put a dollar figure on," he said. "It's made me more aware as a person. It was a lot, lot bigger than I thought it would be. It's much more complicated than I thought it would be. I've been amazed by the judicial side of it juvenile detention and those kinds of things."
Taul represents the southeast portion of Douglas County which includes Baldwin City, Eudora, eastern Lawrence and north through Grant Township.
More like this story
- Construction to close CR 1055 on March 23 north of Baldwin City
- Overland Park approves 165-mile bicycle network
- 2 injured after car explodes on Kansas expressway
- Officials say work on Baldwin City entrances to be finished in time for Maple Leaf Festival
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning