Tutschulte, Kivett, Martin named top players
This week's Baldwin High School players of the week for the girls are Crystal Tutschulte for varsity, Colleen Kivett for junior varsity and Katie Martin for the freshmen.
Tutschulte, a 5-foot-7 senior, had a game-high 21 points against Prairie View Friday night as the Bulldogs snapped a modest two-game losing streak. Of those points, 14 came in the first quarter as BHS bolted to a 20-7 lead.
"Crystal did some real nice things," said coach Mike Berg. "She got some layups and got some good offensive rebounds."
Kivett, a 5-8 sophomore, scored 19 points in Friday's game against Prairie View and then turned around Saturday to lead the squad in tournament play with a total of 26 points in two games. Kivett plays guard for the varsity and post for the JV.
"We're trying to make her a well-rounded player and she can play both," said Berg. "Colleen's really upped her level of play and had a great JV tournament. She has good floor awareness and is always around the ball."
Martin, a 5-4 guard, led the freshmen squad to the tournament title at Spring Hill. She scored 19 points in the first game and followed that with 18 points in the second game.
"It's really great to see Katie score so many points," he said. "She's always been a great defender and fundamentally sound."
More like this story
- Lenexa man suspected of injuring kids, damaging cars
- Wellsville man accused of attacking, robbing man at Douglas County State Fishing Lake
- Baldwin police department warns of counterfeit money
- Former nurse accused of sexual assaulting Kansas patients
- Wellsville man charged for alleged actions in Wednesday Douglas County State Lake incident