Hinton leads wrestlers
Three Baldwin High School wrestlers competed in the Liberty (Mo.) Freestyle Wrestling Tournament Saturday at Liberty High School.
Despite competing in his first-ever freestyle wrestling tournament, Witt Hinton won the gold medal, going 4-0 on the day with three falls. Adam Halford placed fourth and Seth Halford placed fifth in their weight divisions. Hinton and A. Halford are sophomores at BHS, and S. Halford is a freshman.
Freestyle wrestling is one of the styles used in Olympic competition and is an off-season wrestling circuit of competitions. The tournaments are held during the months of April and May and this year the Kansas State Freestyle/Greco-Roman Wrestling Championships will be held at Baldwin High
School on Friday-Saturday, June 2-3. The top placers at the state tournament can then compete for Team Kansas at the National Tournament in Fargo, N.D., in July. Baldwin wrestling coach Kit Harris is an assistant coach for the Kansas National Team, which last year crowned 17 All-Americans and finished seventh out of 48 States competing in the Junior Freestyle division.
More like this story
- BHS student among Lawrence Journal-World's academic all-stars
- Deadline nears for Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce awards nomininations
- Baldwin City Council agenda, May 4, 2015
- Baldwin High School boys and girls track team win season-opening meets
- Baldwin boys, girls race away with league track titles